- While the idea of playtime is great, some chinchilla owners say that they don’t require playtime
- They say it’s an unwarranted risk to take because their blood sugar can drop; they might overheat
- Another pet owner said that chins as a whole do not enjoy being handled, leaving their cage, or playing. They don’t play like dogs and can’t enjoy doing- it’s better to give them safe things to chew on inside their cage and leave them alone
- Though others disagree and say that some chinchillas do enjoy playing and it’s safe to do so (read the full discussion here)
Do you have a chinchilla and want to make sure that you are playing with it safely and having fun? If so, then this blog post is for you! In this post, we will go over how to play with your chinchilla in a way that is both safe and enjoyable. We will also provide some tips on how to keep the games interesting for your furry friend. So, whether you are just starting out with chinchilla ownership or have been playing with them for years, be sure to read on for some helpful advice!
- 1 How to Play with your Chinchilla
How to Play with your Chinchilla
Tricks to Try
One way to have fun with your chinchilla is to teach it some tricks! This can be a great bonding experience for the two of you and it is also a great way to provide mental stimulation for your chinchilla. Some tricks that you may want to try teaching your chinchilla include:
– Coming when called: You can teach your chinchilla to come to you when you call its name. This is a great trick for getting your chinchilla to come out of hiding or for getting it to come to you when you are ready to put it back in its cage.
– Jumping through a hoop: You can make a small hoop out of pipe cleaners or another material and teach your chinchilla to jump through it. This is a fun trick to watch and it can also help to burn off some of your chinchilla’s energy.
– Playing dead: You can teach your chinchilla to play dead by lying on its back when you say the command. This is a cute trick- and you might even be convinced they’re dying, the horror!
What Do Chinchillas Like To Play With?
In addition to tricks, there are also a number of other things that chinchillas like to play with. Some of these include:
– Balls: Chinchillas love to play with balls. You can find small plastic balls or even ping pong balls at your local pet store. Just be sure that the ball is small enough that your chinchilla cannot fit it in its mouth and that it does not have any small parts that could come off and be swallowed.
– Chew toys: Chinchillas love to chew on things, so giving them a chew toy is a great way to keep them entertained. You can find chew toys made specifically for chinchillas at most pet stores.
– Tunnels: Chinchillas also love to play in tunnels. You can purchase a small tunnel made specifically for chinchillas or you can make your own out of cardboard tubing. Just be sure that the tunnel is not too long or too narrow and that it does not have any small parts that could come off.
Chase your feet around the room
Another fun way to play with your chinchilla is to chase it around the room! This is a great way to get some exercise and it is also a lot of fun to watch. Just be sure that you do not run too fast or too close to your chinchilla as it could become frightened.
Burrow under covers
If you have a chinchilla that likes to burrow, then you can try playing with it by burrowing under a blanket or towel. This is a great way to provide your chinchilla with some mental stimulation and it is also a lot of fun to watch.
Tug of war
You can also play a game of tug of war with your chinchilla. This is a great way to bond with your chinchilla and it is also a lot of fun. Just be sure that you do not pull too hard as you could hurt your chinchilla.
The Hay Ball
This is a great game to play if you have more than one chinchilla. You will need a small ball and some hay. The object of the game is to get the chinchillas to push the ball around with their noses. This is a great way to provide mental stimulation for your chinchillas and it is also a lot of fun to watch and even record on your smartphone to post on Instagram!
A Simple Holding And Bonding Session
If you are not sure how to play with your chinchilla or if you just want to bond with your chinchilla, then a simple holding session is always a great option. Just pick up your chinchilla and hold it close to you. You can even offer it a treat while you are holding it.
Set Up Treats, Tunnels And Safe Chew Items In Its Cage
You can also make your chinchilla’s cage more fun by adding in some tunnels, safe chew items and treat dispensers. This is a great way to provide mental stimulation for your chinchilla and it will also give it something to do when you are not around.
Make A Video For Friends And Family
One final tip is to make a video of you and your chinchilla playing together. This is a great way to show off your bond with your chinchilla and it is also a lot of fun to watch. Just be sure to use a camera that has good zoom so that everyone can see how cute your chinchilla is!
Hi, my name’s Elena Coolidge, and this is my site. Chinchillas are so cute and such intelligent animals that make great pets. They’ve become the subject of fascination for many animal lovers who enjoy their antics. I blog about their care, where to buy them, breeders, and more. Shoot me an email if you have a question!